Full Stack Software Developer, Worthing
Schoolcomms is a leading provider of parental engagement software for schools, including messaging, payments and after school club solutions. Systems span across a bespoke desktop client and websites for schools, to websites and native iOS / Android applications for parents.
We benefit from being part of the ParentPay group, the market leader in school-payments solutions, who are actively investing in both the Schoolcomms products and development team.
As well as exciting new products, we have several projects planned to add innovative new functionality to our already successful applications to meet the ever-evolving needs of schools and parents.
We are seeking exceptional Full Stack Software Developers (mid and senior level) to join the Schoolcomms Development team.
Once a short period of induction and training has concluded you will start to contribute to the design and improvement of our products and help us extend our already market leading position. We hope that you will be shipping production code inside the first few days.
- C# ASP.NET (.NET 4.5) & .NET Core
- Microsoft SQL Server
- AngularJs 1.x & Angular
- WebAPI / WebServices
- WinForms & Windows Services
- Swift (iOS) / Kotlin (Android)
- Visual Studio (MSDN) & ReSharper / Visual Studio Code
- Android Studio / XCode
- You will work as part of a cross functional Scrum team alongside enthusiastic and passionate Developers, Business Analysts, Software Testers and UI designers. Working with the team to ensure new and existing functionality is of the highest quality.
- You will be involved in projects from their inception through to delivery. Working with Agile tools, techniques, and best practices you will be able to contribute to both a first-class implementation but also continuous improvement of our agile processes.
- You will be expected to deliver high quality software meeting the business requirements, working directly with Business Analysts to ensure we create the best solution for customers and our application.
- You will be developing features at all levels of the web app stack, including front end user interfaces, APIs and back end. Using a variety of technologies: C# (.NET 4.5) MVC & WebAPI, AngularJs & Angular
- You will be involved with the development of our native apps for Android & iOS. We encourage developers to be comfortable and able to contribute on both platforms.
- We work within a Continuous Integration development environment and you will be releasing software to test rapidly, and with our strong focus on backwards-compatibility, releases to production can happen multiple times per week.
- You will be expected to take an active part in all scrum ceremonies including presenting completed work to the wider team at the end of each sprint and contributing to planning and retrospective sessions to make sprints as successful as possible.
- You will need to be able to identify the optimal solution to minimise development time, QA time and change risk, without degrading code quality.
- One week out of 8 you will take charge of 3rd line support, working closely with other teams to triage and resolve escalated issues from customers. Although the primary focus is to give our customers a responsive and prompt solution to their problems, working closely with support gives our developers key insights into the customers perspective.
- The Development team at Schoolcomms take a pro-active approach to learning with regular knowledge sharing sessions on areas of the application and technologies. You will take part in these sessions and take responsibility for your own self-learning using tools such as Pluralsight. Additionally, you should be comfortable mentoring more junior members of the team, whilst drawing on the experience of other teammates.
- You will implement software development best practice through the application of agreed processes whilst maintaining an analytical attitude and taking a significant role in looking for opportunities to do things better!
- You’re a passionate and enthusiastic software engineer with keen analytical skills.
- You have a degree in Computer Science, or similar with a minimum of 2:1
- You have strong A-level results, ideally with Maths and Science subjects.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and work well with others.
- You are highly motivated and proactive, with a positive attitude and a track record delivering software according to business needs.
- You can apply precision and attention to detail to all aspects of your work, and actively promote good practice through code, documentation and collaboration.
- You have a commitment to best-practice software development and concepts like DRY, SOLID, TDD are not just acronyms to you.
- You have an ability to quickly acquire an understanding of existing code and work with this in new development, whilst improving legacy code and reducing technical debt.
- You are capable of discussing software requirements and business problems with developers and non-developers. Using technical and non-technical language where appropriate to describe and summarise in a manner that can be understood at all levels.
- You are able to support other members of the team: Developers; Testers & Business Analysts.
- You have a customer-focused attitude. Although liaising directly with customers is infrequent, being able to approach our work from a customer’s point-of-view is essential.
- You can be a strong team player and work independently without constant management.
- You are able to work well under pressure to respond quickly to any production issues and find meaningful workarounds until a release can be made.
- You are flexible and adapt readily to changing priorities and working practices.
You will get to work on a variety of software covering all layers of the software stack and multiple platforms. You’ll be given regular time to build your skills and capabilities, and will be encouraged to be ambitious in your personal development. Opportunities to take on new responsibilities are frequent, and our track record for career progression is very positive.
We have an open friendly work environment, where everyone has an important stake in the running of the team, and we respect the need for a good work-life balance. Our office is in a convenient location in Worthing town centre, with the beach only a few minutes away.
We offer the choice of a Mac or PC as the developer’s primary machine, additional hardware for cross-platform development and encourage developers to be fluent in both platforms.
Schoolcomms offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- 25 days annual leave plus statutory public holidays
- Company matched auto enrol pension scheme*
- Group life insurance at 4 x annual salary*
- Option to join the company private health scheme*
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
* Terms and conditions apply.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your CV and Cover Letter to our Internal Recruiter Emma Ainsley at email@example.com