School Gateway Help Guide
Below are some issues parents may come across when using School Gateway, along with instructions of how you can resolve them within school. We have help videos for parents on schoolgateway.co.uk as well as a full Parent Guide available here, to help them resolve problems themselves.
Parent can’t register for School Gateway
If a parent is having trouble registering for School Gateway there are some checks that can be done within school to resolve the problem;
- Has the parent already registered? To check this in Schoolcomms, click on the School Gateway tab. Select Linked People from the left-hand menu and search for the parent in the list. If the parent already has activated an account a date and time will be displayed in the School Gateway section at the bottom of the screen and it will display the email address they have registered with. If this is the case the parent will need to request a new School Gateway Pin rather than try to register for the first time.
- Do the contact details you have saved in your MIS match the details the parent is trying to register with? To check this in Schoolcomms click on the School Gateway tab. Select Linked People from the left-hand menu and search for the parent in the list. A window will appear with the parent’s contact details at the top, these will need to match exactly what the parent is entering, otherwise School Gateway won’t recognise them. If these details are no longer correct, you will need to update them in your MIS and rerun your Schoolcomms Import.
Parent login issues
Parent has forgotten their pin
If a parent has forgotten their pin they can request a new pin using the ‘Forgotten your pin?’ link.
You can also reset the pin for the parent from within Schoolcomms. To do this click on the School Gateway tab. Select Linked People from the left-hand menu and search for the parent in the list. If the parent has an activated School Gateway account click on Reset Pin from the right-hand side menu. This will trigger a text message to be sent to the parent containing a new 4-digit pin number.
Multiple children do not appear in School Gateway
A parent can see all of their children on the same School Gateway account, regardless if they are at different schools as long as;
- The parent signs up to School Gateway with details that match what each school holds within their MIS for them.
- All attended schools are using School Gateway
- All contacts data supplied to each school have been stored identically in your MIS. If children are at the same school, the school needs to ensure that all parents data has been stored identically for each child.
Parent isn’t receiving School Gateway notifications
If a parent wishes to receive push notifications for their School Gateway app they must ensure that push notifications are manually turned on for this app within their phone settings.
For Apple devices:
• On your phone go to Settings
• Scroll down to the “Notifications Centre”
• Select School Gateway
• Ensure that under the heading “Notification Centre” notifications are switched on
• Close the screen; you will now receive notifications when new app messages come through
For Android devices:
• On your phone go to Settings > Applications Manager
• Scroll down your list of apps and select School Gateway
• Ensure the tick box that says “Show Notifications” is selected
• Close the screen; you will now receive notifications when new app messages come through.
Parent cannot make a Payment
There are a few reasons that may stop a parent from being able to pay for a Payment Request within School Gateway. There are a few checks that can be done to resolve this problem;
- Within the Payments section of Schoolcomms, click Payment requests and open up the payment request that the parent is trying to make a payment against by clicking Edit on the right hand side of the screen. Scroll down to the Members section displaying members to select and selected members. Does the student the parent is linked to appear in the right hand column, Selected Members? If not, you will need to move select the student from the left hand menu and move them into the right hand column.
- Does the payment request require consent? This can be checked in section one of the open payment request. If the Require Consent box is ticked, then the parent must have Parental Responsibility ticked in SIMS in order to see this payment request on their School Gateway account.
- Is the parent in your data issues list as a blocked email address? To check go to the Management tab within Schoolcomms. Click View data issues. If the parent appears on this list as either a Permanent Bounce or a SPAM report their email address will need to be re-enabled to be able to make a payment. To do this go to the School members and groups tab in Schoolcomms and highlight the student the parent is linked with. Select the Linked people button, highlight the parent and click re-enable.
No visible tabs in School Gateway
If a parent logs into School Gateway and has no options on their screen, it is normally caused by their email being blocked and therefore appearing in the Data Issues list.
In order to resolve this problem their email address will need to be re-enabled. To check this in Schoolcomms click on the School Gateway tab. Select Linked People from the left-hand menu and search for the parent in the list. In the parents record does the Re-enable button appear? If so, you will need to re-enable the contact, by clicking Re-enable.